San Diego emerging artist resource | Get your art noticed by San Diego media
Vodpod videos no longer available.
This is a presentation I gave as part of the San Diego Visual Arts Network workshop at Survey Select. It is a San Diego emerging-artist resource guide on 10 things you can do today to get noticed by local media (or, at the very least, me, the arts editor at San Diego CityBeat).
This talk was intended for the many emerging artists who have often asked me about the best ways to get their art in our little alt weekly. None of this advice is guaranteed, but I can guarantee those artists who send me an e-mail will get at least a reply in return. Here are the talk’s takeaways:
- The first few slides about Google are simply a reminder that you may want to start by getting yourself a good web presence. Getting on the first page of a “San Diego artists” Google search isn’t easy, but there are ways (like joining one of the directories that do show up on the first page) to make it happen pretty quickly.
- Sending out press releases about yourself, your work and your shows is always a good start. If you don’t know how to write a press release, just Google it and copy the basic format. Research contacts.
- Invite journalists to coffee. They may say yes.
- Get involved.
- Get your art out into the public realm.
- Promote yourself using blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org