- Club ZU Boat Party IV I have to start this week out by recommending the club Zu Boat Party. Why? Read for yourself:
“The Club Zu was one of the first clubs I ever dj’d at,” writes Bart Blackstone. “It was around in the early 80s and was one of the very first clubs to play new wave, no wave, new rom…antic or whatever you want to call it. It’s hard to really express how important Club Zu was to San Diego nightclub history but it was the starting point for a lot of cool stuff that followed, including One Nation. I was lucky to be one of the resident DJs. At the time, there were a lot of punks, gays and art kids wandering around with not much to do.”
Club Zu features a long list of DJs including David J, Robert Kaechele, Miss Guy and more. It’s $50 now or $100 at the dock and is setting sail at 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 21
. More info here
- SunDaze w/ JFK of MSTRKRFT @ Wavehouse I’ve seen the full MSTRKRFT crew in a burnt-out theater in downtown Tijuana. A sweaty dance party ensued. I imagine the same thing will happen at an outdoor beach venue. Sunday, Aug. 22. Get your tickets here.
- HEDONIC ISLANDS 7″ RELEASE PARTY @ Whistle Stop Bar DJ I and the Hedonic Islands are getting ready to release a new 7-inch compliments of Gematria Records. The party is lowkey (the usual “Friends Chill” board-game night will still be happening) but it includes dub sets and psych rock by DJs DUBCHOPS, TURBO & ZOHAR plus Gematria giveaways. Tuesday, Aug. 24. Mas info here.
- Patrick Swayze Night @ Double Deuce My first boy-dream ever involved Patrick Swayze. I will always and forever have a soft spot in my heart for that guy. Friday, Aug. 20. More here.
- Evolve Saturdays @ The Blonde Martini Did you know that Faces Nightclub went out of business and was transformed into a pretty nice joint called The Blonde Martini? Neither did I until I stumbled on it a few weeks ago while doing research for CityBeat’s Bars & Clubs issue. Turns out, George’s on Fifth, the fancy restaurant upstairs, took over the space and has been opening it on the weekend. It’s actually pretty nice (see interior photo by me below) with featured art shows, nice lounge areas and a pretty wide-open main room. I don’t know much about Evolve other than the resident DJ will be DJ Kaos and organizers will try to bring in other, big-name national DJs. Saturday, Aug. 21. More info here.